Sunday, February 11, 2007

Adding some special parts (part 1)

I purchased my first real Ducati in March 2004, I actually traded my 2003 CBR600F to my Ducati 749 Dark. But this wasn't beginning of my Ducati career, actually I have owned "allmost" a Ducati back in 1995 when I had a Cagiva C12R Freccia. After owning C12R I must admit I have been a true Ducati fan alltought I ownded 2 Yamahas, 1 Suzuki, 1 Kawasaki and a Honda before 749...



Afterall let's go back to my 749. The bike is very good to ride even on racetrack in standard form, there was actually only minor things I wanted to improve.



Rear sprocket

At first I replaced rear sprocket with Renthall product. Stock gearing is 14-39 with 525 chain. I replaced rear sprocket with aluminium 41-teeth sprocket and indeed there was huge improvement because now the gearing suited much better conditions on our local Alastaro racetrack. Also the bike felt better on street.



Steering Damper

I bought a Bitubo racing steering damper which was only for "normal" 749/999 frame. There is no bracket on "Dark" frame so and that time there was nothing else available than original Ducati performance steering damper kit available so I desided to design my own bracket and let a friend to manufacture it.



(I will ad some pics later on)



Adjustable ride height

749 Dark has only rigid bar instead of adjustable bar. So there is room for improvement. I bought a new adjustable bar from ebay and now this little improvement is reached. On the picture you can also see a custom made Bitubo FXF 11 Racing rear shock - an awesome piece of race engineering (more about that later)!







No comments: